- 1 How do you quote lines from a play in an essay?
- 2 How do you cite lines from Shakespeare?
- 3 How do you cite lines in a story?
- 4 How do you quote a passage from a play?
- 5 How do you quote a dialogue?
- 6 Do you underline a Play title in an essay?
- 7 How do you quote Shakespeare in Romeo and Juliet?
- 8 How do you quote a block quote in Shakespeare?
- 9 How do you cite Macbeth in works cited?
- 10 How do you cite a book in an essay example?
- 11 How do you quote a story title in an essay?
- 12 How do you cite a book title in an essay?
- 13 Which is the correct way to cite a website?
- 14 How do you insert a block quote?
- 15 How do you quote more than 4 lines?
How do you quote lines from a play in an essay?
When quoting a conversation between two or more characters in a play, start the quote on a new line, indented 1/2 an inch from the left margin. Write the name of the first speaker in capital letters, followed by a period and the speaker’s line (s). Do the same for the next speaker(s) as necessary.
How do you cite lines from Shakespeare?
When citing Shakespeare plays, list the ACT, SCENE, and LINES in parenthetical citations (page numbers are NOT included), separated by periods. Enclose the citation in parentheses. For example: (Macbeth 1.3.
How do you cite lines in a story?
Using In-text Citation MLA in-text citation style uses the author’s last name and the page number from which the quotation or paraphrase is taken, for example: (Smith 163). If the source does not use page numbers, do not include a number in the parenthetical citation: (Smith).
How do you quote a passage from a play?
When quoting dialogue from a play, begin each part with the appropriate character’s name indented 1-inch from the left margin and written in all capital letters followed by a period. Then, start the quotation and indent all subsequent lines an additional ¼ inch.
How do you quote a dialogue?
4. Quoting a portion of dialogue: If you quote something a character says, use double quotation marks on the outside ends of the quotation to indicate that you are quoting a portion of the text. Use single quotation marks inside the double quotation marks to indicate that someone is speaking.
Do you underline a Play title in an essay?
Titles of longer written works are underlined or italicized. Longer written works include books, full-length plays, films, longer musical compositions, and periodicals. (The title of a longer work is italicized or underlined.)
How do you quote Shakespeare in Romeo and Juliet?
Structure: Play author. “Play Title.” Title of book, author(s) or editor(s), publisher, year of publication, page number(s). Example: Shakespeare, William. Romeo and Juliet.
How do you quote a block quote in Shakespeare?
Set verse quotations of more than three lines as block quotations: start a new line and set each line one inch in from the left margin, adding no quotation marks not appearing in the original. If the quotation starts in the middle of a line of verse, reproduce it that way, donâ€™t shift it to the left margin.
How do you cite Macbeth in works cited?
General information about MLA and Shakespeare
- Italicize the titles of the plays – Macbeth (for the play), Macbeth (for the character)
- You may abbreviate the title of the play in the parenthetical citation (check with your teacher first)
- Do not use page numbers in parenthetical citation – always include (act.scene.lines)
How do you cite a book in an essay example?
APA in-text citation style uses the author’s last name and the year of publication, for example: (Field, 2005). For direct quotations, include the page number as well, for example: (Field, 2005, p. 14).
How do you quote a story title in an essay?
Titles of individual short stories and poems go in quotation marks. The titles of short story and poetry collections should be italicized. For example, “The Intruder,” a short story by Andre Dubus appears in his collection, Dancing After Hours.
How do you cite a book title in an essay?
Italicize titles if the source is self-contained and independent. Titles of books, plays, films, periodicals, databases, and websites are italicized. Place titles in quotation marks if the source is part of a larger work. Articles, essays, chapters, poems, webpages, songs, and speeches are placed in quotation marks.
Which is the correct way to cite a website?
Cite web postings as you would a standard web entry. Provide the author of the work, the title of the posting in quotation marks, the web site name in italics, the publisher, and the posting date. Follow with the date of access. Include screen names as author names when author name is not known.
How do you insert a block quote?
- Block quotations start on their own line.
- The entire block quotation is indented 0.5 inches, the same as the indentation for a new paragraph, and is double spaced.
- Block quotations are not surrounded by any quotation marks.
- The punctuation at the end of the block quotation goes before the citation.
How do you quote more than 4 lines?
For quotations that are more than four lines of prose or three lines of verse, place quotations in a free-standing block of text and omit quotation marks. Start the quotation on a new line, with the entire quote indented 1/2 inch from the left margin while maintaining double-spacing.