- 1 How do you cite a play in MLA?
- 2 How do you cite a play in an essay?
- 3 How do you in-text cite a drama?
- 4 How do you cite Shakespeare in MLA format?
- 5 How do you cite a website in MLA?
- 6 How do you cite an online article in text MLA?
- 7 How do you cite a play in an essay MHRA?
- 8 How do you write stage directions in an essay?
- 9 How do you cite a play in an essay APA?
- 10 How do you cite OED in-text?
- 11 How do you do a work cited page?
- 12 How do you in-text cite a poem?
- 13 How do you cite Romeo and Juliet in MLA format?
- 14 How do you cite Hamlet in MLA format?
- 15 How do you cite Macbeth in MLA?
How do you cite a play in MLA?
Revised on June 22, 2021. When citing a play with numbered lines, the MLA parenthetical citation should include the author name and the act, scene and line number(s). Book.
|Format||Author last name, First name. Play Title. Publisher, Year.|
|In-text citation||(Friel 57)|
How do you cite a play in an essay?
If writing about one play, use the author’s last name in the parenthetical citation. However, if writing a paper that refers to more than one work, use the play’s title. For example: If one were to write a paper on Othello in which he or she quoted only that play, Shakespeare would be used in the citation.
How do you in-text cite a drama?
MLA Style Guide — DRAMA
- Use the full title at its first mention in your text, followed by the abbreviation in parentheses. E.g. “In All’s Well That Ends Well (AWW), Shakepeare”
- Any subsequent references to the title may be abbreviated.
- See the MLA Handbook, sections 7.7 & 7.7. 2 for more information.
How do you cite Shakespeare in MLA format?
If you cite multiple Shakespeare plays in your paper, replace the author’s name with an abbreviation of the play title in your in-text citation. How to cite Shakespeare in MLA.
|Format||Shakespeare, William. Play Title. Edited by Editor first name Last name, Publisher, Year.|
|In-text citation||( Shakespeare 5.2.201–204) or (Ham. 1.2.321–324)|
How do you cite a website in MLA?
Author’s Last name, First name. “Title of the Article or Individual Page.” Title of the Website, Name of the Publisher, date of publication in day month year format, URL.
How do you cite an online article in text MLA?
If no author is credited, leave out this element, and start with the title of the page or article instead. Use a shortened version of the title in your in- text citation. Citing web pages with no author or date.
|Format||“Title of Article.” Website Name, Day Month Year, URL.|
|In- text citation||(“US Election 2020”)|
How do you cite a play in an essay MHRA?
Use this format when you are referencing a play published as part of a collection or anthology. Put play title in single quotation marks and the collection title in italics. Footnote format: Firstname Lastname, ‘ Play Title’, in Collection Title (Place of publication: Publisher, Year), Act. Scene.
How do you write stage directions in an essay?
When quoting stage directions, your aim should be consistency. It is most common to find stage directions in italics, and you should replicate them: After Levan states that Homais “faints,” the stage directions detail what happens next: “She sinks down in a Chair, he falls at her feet” (22).
How do you cite a play in an essay APA?
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of a play in APA style 7th edition:
- Author(s) of the play.
- (Year of publication).
- Title of the play.
How do you cite OED in-text?
In- Text citation: ” Text of quotation” (“Shoot, n1”). * The date of access is optional; however, it is commonly used. When using optional elements, refer to your assignment or course guidelines or preferences expressed by your professor. “Title of Source.”
How do you do a work cited page?
- Begin your Works Cited page on a separate page at the end of your research paper.
- Label the page Works Cited ( do not italicize the words Works Cited or put them in quotation marks) and center the words Works Cited at the top of the page.
- Double space all citations, but do not skip spaces between entries.
How do you in-text cite a poem?
Include the author’s name, the title(s) of the poem (s), and the line number(s) in the text (for better source inte- gration) or within a parenthetical citation.
How do you cite Romeo and Juliet in MLA format?
Structure: Play author. “Play Title.” Title of book, author(s) or editor(s), publisher, year of publication, page number(s). Example: Shakespeare, William. Romeo and Juliet.
How do you cite Hamlet in MLA format?
- Author’s last name, first name. Title. Translated or edited by first name last name, publisher, year published, page numbers.
- Shakespeare, William. Hamlet. Edited by George Richard Hibbard, Oxford UP, 2008, pp. 18-22.
- Author’s last name, first initial. (Year published). Title.
- Shakespeare, W. (1996). Hamlet.
How do you cite Macbeth in MLA?
General information about MLA and Shakespeare
- Italicize the titles of the plays – Macbeth (for the play), Macbeth (for the character)
- You may abbreviate the title of the play in the parenthetical citation (check with your teacher first)
- Do not use page numbers in parenthetical citation – always include (act.scene.lines)