- 1 How do you cite a play in-text?
- 2 How do you cite a play in MLA format?
- 3 How do you cite a play in APA 7?
- 4 How do you quote a playwright?
- 5 How do you cite a script?
- 6 How do you cite Hamlet in-text?
- 7 How do you cite Shakespeare works cited?
- 8 How do you cite sources in an essay?
- 9 How do you format a play?
- 10 How do you cite lines from a play in APA?
- 11 How do you cite Shakespeare quotes in apa?
- 12 How do you cite trifles the play?
- 13 How do you quote a dialogue?
- 14 How do you cite lines from a poem?
- 15 How do you do a work cited page?
How do you cite a play in-text?
When citing prose plays, use the page number first, followed by a semicolon and then other identifying information (e.g. Miller 9; Act 1). When citing verse plays with line numbers provided, use those instead of page numbers, separating division numbers with a period (see example above).
How do you cite a play in MLA format?
Revised on June 22, 2021. When citing a play with numbered lines, the MLA parenthetical citation should include the author name and the act, scene and line number(s). Book.
|Format||Author last name, First name. Play Title. Publisher, Year.|
|In-text citation||(Friel 57)|
How do you cite a play in APA 7?
Here is the basic format for a reference list entry of a play in APA style 7th edition:
- Author(s) of the play.
- (Year of publication).
- Title of the play.
How do you quote a playwright?
- Cite the playwright first, then the play title in quotes.
- Some long plays are published as a single book.
- After the publication year, include the database in italics and then the permanent link to the book.
- See the document below for commonly-used Shakespearean play abbreviations.
How do you cite a script?
For in-text references, cite the script by the author’s last name and cite the performance by the performance name, in accordance with the works- cited -list entries.
How do you cite Hamlet in-text?
When formatting your in- text citations, keep these points in mind:
- Italicize the title of the play.
- Do not include page numbers.
- Do not place a comma after the title of the play.
- Separate the act, scene and lines with periods.
- Enclose your citation in parentheses.
How do you cite Shakespeare works cited?
When citing Shakespeare plays, list the ACT, SCENE, and LINES in parenthetical citations (page numbers are NOT included), separated by periods. Enclose the citation in parentheses. For example: (Macbeth 1.3.
How do you cite sources in an essay?
The in-text citation is very simple: (Author, year) – it generally only consists of the author’s last name, a comma, and the year of publication. The in-text citation has only the author’s last name – no initials! Always include the year of publication.
How do you format a play?
Standard Playwriting Format
- Act and Scene headings are centered.
- Character’s names are centered and capitalized.
- Stage directions are indented one tab and italicized.
- Character’s names in stage directions are capitalized.
- Parenthetical stage directions are used for small actions.
How do you cite lines from a play in APA?
Start with the author’s name, last name first, then first initial followed by a period. Put the date of publication (or translation) in parentheses next with a period after the parentheses. Write the title of the play with no special formatting such as quotation marks or italics.
How do you cite Shakespeare quotes in apa?
- List ” Shakespeare ” as the author’s name, followed by a comma.
- List the year of translation, followed by a comma, if translated.
- List the act, scene, and lines you are citing, separated by periods.
- Enclose the entire citation within parentheses.
- Format your reference list entry in the following format: Author.
How do you cite trifles the play?
MLA (7th ed.) Glaspell, Susan, Rosalind Ayres, Jean Hackett, Amy Madigan, and Sam McMurray. Trifles. Los Angeles, CA: L.A. Theatre Works, 2011. Internet resource.
How do you quote a dialogue?
4. Quoting a portion of dialogue: If you quote something a character says, use double quotation marks on the outside ends of the quotation to indicate that you are quoting a portion of the text. Use single quotation marks inside the double quotation marks to indicate that someone is speaking.
How do you cite lines from a poem?
When Quoting Four or More Lines of Poetry: Include the author’s name, the title(s) of the poem (s), and the line number(s) in the text (for better source inte- gration) or within a parenthetical citation.
How do you do a work cited page?
- Begin your Works Cited page on a separate page at the end of your research paper.
- Label the page Works Cited ( do not italicize the words Works Cited or put them in quotation marks) and center the words Works Cited at the top of the page.
- Double space all citations, but do not skip spaces between entries.